Structurally unassuming, the Neuberger Museum of Art boasts a fairly broad and well-rounded collection for a museum its size. The Neuberger is particularly strong in African art, owing to a 1999 gift that swelled the museum’s holdings to nearly 300 pieces; its painting, photography and print collections are also worth a look. Those who may be feeling a bit more energetic might want to consider taking a long stroll around Purchase’s immense and largely undeveloped campus; the land is dotted with sculptures from the permanent collection, including an Andy Goldsworthy cairn and Henry Moore’s Large Two Forms. (If you’re really feeling ambitious, walk across Anderson Hill Road to Pepsico headquarters and wander around the Donald M. Kendall Sculpture Gardens.)
For families, the Neuberger offers “Family First Saturday” on the first Saturday of each month during the school year; there are also occasional screenings and lectures, and once in a while a joint program with the Purchase Performing Arts Center.
The Neuberger Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (Bee-Line bus 12 has a stop at Purchase College. You can also take the Metro-North Harlem Line to the White Plains station, and take a cab from there to Purchase College)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Sunday Noon–5 p.m. Closed Mondays
- Admission: $5 General Admission; $3 Seniors (62+) and Students; Free for Children (12 and under), Members, and Purchase College faculty, staff, and students
- Free Day: Free admission for all on the 1st Saturday of every month
- Tour: Guided tours are available for groups of 10–50 people and Self-Guided tours are available for up to 40 adults or 30 children. Both are available Tuesday–Friday 10 a.m.–4 p.m. and Saturday Noon–4 p.m. Tour lengths vary based on the visitor type (Pre-K – 45 minutes; K-2 – 1 hour; 3rd grade-12th grade – 1 hour 15 minutes; Adult/Senior – 1 hour). Guided Tour Fees (includes admission) are $6 Adult; $4 Senior; $3 Student or Child (12 and under). Self-Guided Tour Fees (includes admission) are $5 Adult; $3 Senior; $2 Student or Child (12 and under). All tours must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance and require a non-refundable deposit of $50 or one half of the tour cost (whichever is less). There are 2 free tour options: The Gallery Talk (Tuesday–Friday at 1 p.m.; Sunday at 3 p.m.) and the Topic Tours (Sundays at 2 p.m.). Both free tours are suspended from July–August.
- Membership: Basic ($55); Senior ($40); Supporter ($100); Patron’s Circle ($750); Director’s Circle ($2,500); Neuberger Circle ($5,000). Depending on level, benefits include free admission; a10% discount in the Museum Store; free parking privileges; ability to host a party at the museum; subscriptions to the Neu Semi-annual Newsletter and the Bi-weekly E-newsletter; invitations to Neu Nights Out: Exhibition Openings; an invitation to the member’s holiday party; donor wall recognition; VIP preview tours; invitation to a donor recognition brunch; and more.