Based on the Webster University campus, The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis is one of the few theaters that gives talented college students the opportunity to hone their skills by working side-by-side with accomplished actors in full professional productions. For the audience, it means getting to see the stars of today working with the stars of tomorrow.
The Rep schedules a fantastic slate of shows each season, divided into four separate series. The Mainstage usually features a strong mix of popular classics, new versions of old favorites, and contemporary works. The Off-Ramp series, introduced in 2005, is for more off-beat work (usually stuff that is either dark or has significant youth appeal), though, ironically, the offerings so far have all been shows that recently appeared on or off Broadway, like Urinetown, Altar Boyz, and The Pillowman. The Studio Season includes more intimate pieces, and the Imaginary Theatre Company series is dedicated to family-friendly shows. On the first Saturday of each month, from October through April, The Rep hosts Kids ArtStart, a free family event that introduces children to the arts through fun activities.
Repertory Theatre of St. Louis Information
- Venues: Browning Mainstage, The Loretto-Hilton Center for the Performing Arts, 130 Edgar Road (on the campus of Webster University), Webster Groves; The Grandel Theatre, 3610 Grandel Square (in Grand Center)
- Public Transport: Very good.
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performance/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday through Sunday.
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $14.50 – $65, discounts available for groups of 10 or more.
- Subscriptions: 6-Show Mainstage subscription; $79 – $374, 3-Play Studio subscription; $82 – $125, 2-Play “Off-Ramp” subscription; $27 – $91,subscription discounts available for students and seniors. Subscriber benefits include free and unlimited ticket exchanges, a Guest Pass good for one free ticket to a Mainstage show of their choice, and free parking at the Loretto-Hilton Center.