One of the biggest producers of musical theatre in the country, Houston’s infamous Theatre Under the Stars (more commonly known as TUTS) has launched such world premiere productions as Zorro, the Musical, Annie Warbucks and Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, as well as countless tours and regional stagings, featuring the biggest names in entertainment of the past forty years. Originally named for its first home at an outdoor theatre in Hermann Park, TUTS is now housed “indoors” at the $100 million dollar downtown Hobby Center for the Performing Arts.
Boasting a six-show season mixing elaborate home grown productions with first run Broadway tours, TUTS is the center of Houston’s arts scene. In addition to its enormously popular mainstage, TUTS’ world-renowned education program, the Humphreys School of Musical Theatre, offers training for arts lovers of all ages, while its professional internship program provides a rewarding opportunity for graduate students at local Sam Houston State University.
Theatre Under the Stars (TUTS) Information
- Other Venues: Miller Outdoor Theatre, Hermann Park, 100 Concert Drive
- Public Transportation: Good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $29–$93, student and senior discounts usually available. Groups of 15 or more are eligible for 20% discount
- Subscriptions: Four-Show and Six-Show subscriptions $142–$454; seniors and full-time students can get discounts for subscription tickets in rear orchestra and rear mezzanine. Benefits include the ability to transfer your tickets to someone else if you can’t use them, ticket exchanges ($2.50 fee), and ticket insurance. Only subscribers can exchange tickets.