The majority of the shows produced on TheatreWorks’s two stages, the Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts and the Lucie Stern Theatre, are appearing in Northern California—if not on the entire West Coast—for the first time. Most seasons also feature the world premier of a show that has been developed through the New Works Initiative, a program that gives new musicals (and plays with music) readings and workshops, culminating in the exciting annual New Works Festival.
Not even 10 years old yet, the New Works Initiative has already nurtured new musicals by Stephen Schwartz, Andrew Lippa, Joe Dipietro, Bill Russell, Henry Krieger, Hunter Foster, Marsha Norman, and many rising theater writers.
Meanwhile, the Workshop, the umbrella term for TheatreWorks’s community and education programs, is training the playwrights and stage stars of the future through residencies, classes, and day camps for kids and teens.
The Children’s Healing Project takes it a step further by bringing drama teachers right into the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, where they brighten the patients’ spirits by engaging them in improvisational activities and creative exercises.
- Venues: Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts (MVCPA), 500 Castro St., Mountain View; Lucie Stern Theatre, 1305 Middlefield Rd., Palo Alto
- Public Transportation: Fair/Poor (MVCPA is accessible via Caltrain; Lucie Stern only somewhat accessible)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (both venues)
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $36–$64, discounts available for seniors, educators, and students. Quick Tix: Register online and get special last-minute ticket offers
- Membership: Package prices are $165–$410, discounts available for seniors, students, and educators. Pay $40 for Theatreworks membership, then get discounted tickets for the shows of your choice at $27 for plays and $32 for musicals.