Founded in 1939 by Marie Bollinger Vogt, the Toledo Ballet has provided the local community with quality dance training and performance for more than seventy years. TB is made up of dancers chosen each year through auditions to form the corps de ballet, principal roles, and apprenticeships. Through the staging of classical ballets, these young dancers are given the exposure and experience necessary to bring them closer to a professional career.
Toledo Ballet is known for presenting the longest-running annual performance of The Nutcracker in the United States, having performed it each year since 1941. Their recent staging of Museum of Dreams, an original, full-length dance by Michael Lang inspired by several pieces from the Toledo Museum of Art’s permanent collection, is another example of the company’s commitment to exposing the best dancers from the Toledo Ballet School to new choreography and appreciative audiences. TB also brings classical ballet to community youth through outreach and Arts in Education programs, including a program that teaches ballet to youth with Down Syndrome in the Toledo area.
Toledo Ballet Information
- Venues: The Valentine Theatre (410 Adams Street) and the Stranahan Theater (4645 Heatherdowns Boulevard)
- Public Transportation: Good for both. The Valentine Theatre (a short walk from several TARTA buses at Adams Street/Summit Street). The Stranahan Theater (steps from bus 31H at Heatherdowns Boulevard/Cass Road)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for both venues
- Performances/Programs: 2-3 shows per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $15–$49, with prices varying by show and seat selection
- Subscriptions: $35–$67 depending on seat selection. Subscriber benefits include priority seating; 10% discount on additional tickets; ticketing fee waived; free ticket exchange; lost ticket replacement; and the Association Newsletter
- Membership: Seven levels are available: Plié ($40–$79), Grand Plié ($80–$149), Tendu ($150–$249), Pirouette ($250–$499), Fouetté ($500–$749), Grand Jeté ($750–$999), and Principal Dancer ($1,000+). Benefits are tiered with all members receiving a subscription to the newsletter; a 5% discount on season tickets; program book recognition; and waiver of Toledo Ballet School registration fee
- Other Benefits: At the Principal Dancer level, members are invited to lunch with the Executive Director.