It is no exaggeration to say that the Toledo Museum of Art is among the very best art museums in the entire country. While the TMA has been a haven for culture and the arts in Toledo since its inception in 1901, over time it’s grown into more of a complex than a traditional museum. It’s now comprised of six separate buildings, along with a sculpture garden, on a sprawling 36-acre campus. Its 30,000 piece permanent collection ranges from artifacts of the ancient Mediterranean to Lynda Benglis’ 2008 sculpture “Pedmarks”, and includes significant pieces by Monet, Gauguin, van Gogh, David and Matisse, among others.
Fittingly for the Glass City’s flagship museum (which was founded by a glass magnate), the TMA is particularly renowned for its glass collection, numbering over 5,000 pieces and housed in its own building, the Glass Pavilion. Here, besides the permanent and rotating exhibits, patrons can also observe glassblowing demonstrations and take workshops and classes in various types of glasswork.
The museum extends its hours until 10 P.M. every Friday as part of its “It’s Friday!” program, which feature wine tastings, live music, tours and activities. For families with small children, there’s a Family Center in the main building, where themed hands-on activities for ages 1-10 are offered four days a week.
Toledo Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a short walk from TARTA bus 2H at Monroe Street/Toledo Museum of Art and buses 28 and 30 at Grove Pl./Lincoln Avenue; and a 4-minute walk from buses 22F and 26 at Collingwood Blvd./Jefferson Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Thursday 10 a.m.–4 p.m., Friday 10 a.m.–10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.–6 p.m., and Sunday noon–6 p.m. Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: Free. Special exhibitions or events may require purchased tickets
- Membership: Individual membership is $55 (Senior $35, Senior Couple $60, Family $75). Benefits include free subscription to ArTMAtters; a 10% discount at the Museum Store; free parking; free admission to member only special events; borrowing privileges at TMA’s Art Reference Library; Member Preview Day at TMA’s annual holiday art sale; discounted tickets to Art Hours; and discounted tuition to TMA art classes.