The iconic Trisha Brown helped to change the conventional standard of modern dance while ushering it into a new era as part of the Judson Dance Theater in the 1960’s. She founded her company in 1970, using quotidian spaces to feature her dancers and her bold choreography such as rooftops and the tops of walls. Her fascination with gravity’s possibilities and hindrances, along with her graceful way of knitting movement into a seamless blend of story and emotion has kept her at the helm of modern dance for all of these years, winning countless awards (three Bessies, including a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2011), numerous fellowships, and a bevy of honorary doctorates.
What is so enticing about the TBDC is how the dancers are pushed to their limits, yet manage to get there in an effortless counterbalance with space. The small company – only eight dancers – compels and invites the audience to get inside the movement, creating a visceral sensation that is palpable to all. Brown is the mistress of collaboration; her famous 1983 “Set and Reset,” which paired her choreography with the music of Laurie Anderson and sets by Robert Rauschenberg, is a perfect example.
The TBDC maintains a regular New York performance schedule while also making appearances overseas. Additionally, Brown frequently choreographs for the opera, such as Monteverdi’s “Orfeo,” which she also directed, and Lina Wertmuller’s “Carmen”.
Tricia Brown Dance Company Information
- Venues: Trisha Brown Dance Company does not have a regular performance venue and spends the majority of the year on tour. When in New York, check for this company at locations such as Lincoln Center, BAM, New York City Center, and the Joyce Theater
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue
- Performances/Programs: The company tours with selections from their current repertoire
- Membership: Donor fees start at $50 and include Fall/Spring newsletters, company updates and program recognition
- Ticket Prices: Depending on the venue, tickets for Trisha Brown can range from about $20 to about $70.