True Colors launched its inaugural three-play season in October 2003 with a critically acclaimed production of August Wilson’s Fences. The company’s artistic director is Kenny Leon, who previously served in the same capacity for the Alliance Theatre and whose Broadway credits include the 2010 revival of Fences with Denzel Washington and Viola Davis.
In addition to presenting new interpretations of classics ranging from Medea to A Raisin in the Sun, True Colors has offered world premieres of works by such writers as Pearl Cleage, Arthur Miller, Regina Taylor, Athol Fugard, José Rivera, and Nilo Cruz.
True Colors Theatre Company Information
- Venues: Southwest Arts Center, Balzer Theater @ Herren’s, Porter Sanford III Performing Arts Center
- Public Transportation: Varies depending on venue.
- Handicapped Accessibility: Varies depending on venue.
- Performances/Programs: Approximately four productions per season, with 20-40 performances of each. Additional events include seasonal productions such as Black Nativity, the August Wilson Monologue Competition, and Spring Play Reading Series.
- Ticket Prices: $18-20 for season performances. Admission to other events varies, often free to the public.
- Group Discounts: Discounts of up to 25% are available to groups of 10 or more people.
- Subscriptions: Three types of season packages are available. ’Flex Pass’ allows admission to all four season productions. ‘Four Pack’ includes four tickets, usable at any one or more plays during the regular season. The lowest-priced ‘Preview Subscription’ allows admission to preview performances of each season production.