Tulsans love their opera. Writing in 1905, a prominent businessman noted, “We did not have any sewers, street paving, parks or sidewalks and not much of a water system, but these facilities were luxuries and could wait, whereas an opera house loomed as an immediate necessity.” But a permanent company wouldn’t happen until 1948, when the Tulsa Opera formed, with the premiere of La Traviata.Now the 18th oldest company in the country, Tulsa Opera is ranked as one of America’s top ten regional companies by Opera News.
The company performs three fully staged works annually, primarily from the standard repertoire but with an increasing number of American and 20th century works. It has sponsored the Tulsa Youth Opera since 1997 as a part of their extensive educational and outreach programs which sponsors events statewide. Composed of singers between 7 and 18, the Tulsa Youth Opera presents semi-staged performances to audiences of all ages. Older emerging singers take part in the Tulsa Opera Studio Artist Program to hone their talents.
Tulsa Opera Information
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performances/Programs: 3 productions per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: Prices vary depending on date, time, performances and seats selected
- Subscriptions: Available, prices range from $53 – $177 depending on date, time, performances, and seats selected
- Membership: Available from $50 – $3,000+.