The conservatory known as the UNCSA School of Music has been in operation since 1965. Prominent alumni include soprano Jennier Welch-Babidge, violinist Lisa Kim, bass-baritone Derrick Lawrence, violinist Ida Bieler, and mezzo-soprano Tichina Vaughn.
In addition to its regular academic focus on performance and composition, the School hosts several summer workshops, such as Composition/Music Technology Workshop, Vocal Workshop, String Chamber Music Institute, Guitar and Piano Workshops, as well as sessions on Bassoon, Oboe, Saxophone, Trumpet, Double Bass, and Percussion.
University of North Carolina School of the Arts Information
- Venues: Watson Hall, Crawford Hall, Hood Recital Hall, Stevens Center, Judy and Bill Watson Chamber Music Hall, DeMille Theatre – all on the University campus
- Public Transportation: Good (a 2-minute walk from WSTA bus 29 at Haled Street/Sunnyside Avenue; and a 5-minute walk from bus 14 at South Main Street/West Acadia Avenue)
- Performances/Programs: Over 60 performances presented throughout the year. Programs include Music@Watson, Emerging Artists Concerts, Student Recitals
- Ensembles: Symphony Orchestra, Cantata Singers, Jazz Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, Contemporary Ensemble, Opera Workshop, various chamber groups
- Ticket Prices: Several events are free of charge. Most other concerts are $12 Adults, $10 Seniors/Students.