(July 29 – August 11) One of the most exceptional summer dance experiences in the West, the Vail International Dance Festival lights up the community with two weeks of exceptional dance programming each year from late July to early August. Situated in the breathtaking surroundings of Vail, Colorado, the festival features equally magnificent guest artists under the Artistic Direction of former ballet star Damian Woetzel.
With its consistently stellar line up, the two-week festival has featured such heavyweight dance companies as New York City Ballet, the Martha Graham Dance Company and the Mark Morris Dance Group. Added to the wide array of choreographic offerings are special in-town events, interactive performances, and master classes.
With the chance to see world premieres as well as little known works, audiences from all over the world flock to the VIDF every year to enjoy prolific doses of all styles of dance, from classical to contemporary and more. Presented in the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater and the Vilar Performing Arts Center, VIDF is a feast for the senses and a gift for the soul. (MK)
Vail International Dance Festival Information
- Venues: Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater (530 South Frontage Rd East, Vail); Solaris (141 East Meadow Drive, Vail); Vilar Performing Arts Center (68 Avondale Lane, Beaver Creek)
- Public Transportation: Fair for all venues. Shuttles available at the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater and Solaris
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: A dozen performances at three venues over the course of two weeks
- Ticket Prices: Vary depending on venue and package. Some student discounts available; children under 12 get free lawn seating at the Ford Amphitheater with a paid adult
- Educational/Community Outreach: Interactive dance evenings, classes, “off-stage” performances.