Director Dr. Margaret Carlson created Verb Ballets in order to bring diverse contemporary dance programs to Cleveland audiences, and she has done so with exquisite attention to the variety and expression of a wide range of choreographic work. The former principal dancer with the Cleveland Ballet has a long trajectory in dance, including choreographing for the Cleveland Opera, and is dedicated to promoting modern dance classics as well as nurturing emerging choreographers.
Verb Ballets is a company of exuberant and beautifully trained dancers who are able to transmit the essence of choreography as diverse as George Balanchine, Martha Graham, Merce Cunningham, Alwin Nickolai, and Ulysses Dove, as well as many emerging local choreographers. With their impeccable and consistently detailed approach to the tried-and-true as well as contemporary offerings, VB’s talented company has helped to further dance awareness throughout the community with its vibrant staging and soulful interpretations.
As Cleveland, Ohio’s premier dance repertory company, Verb Ballets was named by Dance Magazine one of “25 to watch in 2004,” and in 2008, one of the great “tiny troupes” in America. VB is renowned and respected for its continuing commitment to bringing excellent performances to the stage, helping to expand the boundaries of contemporary dance.
- Michele Kadison
Verb Ballets Information
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: 8 shows with multiple performances of some
- Ticket Prices: Range from $20–$85 depending on event and seat selection. Student discounts available for most concerts
- Subscriptions: Four-show ($76); Three-show ($61). Benefits include exclusive in-studio viewings; invitations to special events; E-newsletter; and more
- Membership: Supporters ($50–$99); Friends ($100–$249); Patrons ($250–$499); Sponsors ($500–$999); Benefactors ($1,000–$4,999); Underwriters ($5,000–$9,999); The Director’s Circle ($10,000+). Depending on level, benefits include program recognition; special invitations to sneak peeks; advance notification of special performances; invitations to preview rehearsals; Opening Night preferred seating; private dinner with the Director; and more.