Dedicated to the creation of new plays and musicals, the Vineyard has given birth to such works as Edward Albee’s Three Tall Women, Paula Vogel’s How I Learned to Drive, Becky Mode’s Fully Committed, and Craig Lucas’s The Dying Gaul, all of which have gone on to further lives at theaters all across the country.
In recent years, the company has gained a higher profile with Broadway transfers of two of its productions: Avenue Q, winner of the 2004 Tony Award for Best Musical, and The Scottsboro Boys, one of the last shows written by the legendary team of composer John Kander and the late lyricist Fred Ebb.
The Vineyard Community of Artists – an alliance of playwrights, composers, actors, designers, and directors – sponsors panel discussions, informal readings of works in progress, full readings of new plays, and opportunities for the artists to meet and form collaborations.
Vineyard Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (a short walk from subway lines L, N, Q, R, 4, 5, and 6 at 14th Street/Union Square; and buses M1, M2, M3, M14A, M14D, M15, M101, M102, and M103)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 4 shows per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: $50–$65. $20 student rush tickets available 2 hours prior to curtain. $40 Senior (65+) discounted tickets available. Must be purchased in advance
- Subscriptions/Memberships: Full Membership $175 (1 ticket to all shows); Show by Show Membership $85 (pay $25 for each member ticket per show); Theatre Artist Membership $35 (for professional theatre artist. Pay $15 for each member ticket per show. Valid Union ID/Membership Card required); Under 30 Membership $35 (pay $15 for each member ticket per show. Valid ID with birth date required); “Check Us Out” Membership $60 (special one-time-only membership, which gives you one ticket to all Vineyard Theatre shows and can be used on any Tuesday-Thursday performance during previews); Benefactor Membership $1000 (premium membership that includes two tickets to all Vineyard Theatre shows in the season, plus invitations to exclusive events during season; priority VIP ticket booking; access to House seats; recognition in season programs; signed poster from a season show of your choice; signed script from a season show of your choice; access to Broadway house seats; and an invitation to the Annual Gala).