Each year, VMT produces four or five musicals, melding the talents of nationally recognized professionals with those of Virginia-based performers, musicians, designers, and young theater aspirants. The bill of fare includes Broadway classics on the order of South Pacific, Oklahoma!, and Man of La Mancha, as well as more recent and under-appreciated musicals. VMT has commissioned and presented three new shows, among them Yankee Doodle Cohan. The company actively cultivates student groups — developing study guides and presenting shows with significant education and historical value, including 1776 and Shenandoah — and it boasts a wide variety of community outreach initiatives.
Virginia Musical Theatre Information
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessible: Good
- Performance/Programs: Four productions per season (four performances of each production).
- Admission: Varies ($12-67) depending on seating and various available discounts. Reduced prices for Saturday matinee tickets and student rush tickets (available at the box office 15 minutes before showtime).
- Subscriptions: Full season subscriptions (all four productions) are available, at a discount of over 10%. Price ranges from $60 (students) to $240 (orchestra seating); Saturday matinee subscriptions are slightly less.