The Wexner Center is a multi-disciplinary laboratory for the creative arts in Columbus’ University District. Since 1989 it has emphasized commissions of new art works, and initiated programs in theater, dance and music, as well as film. An artist residency program engages contemporary artists to create new works, exhibited or performed at the Wexner, that interface with the Ohio State community and the larger public. Lectures, workshops and public programs elicit a dialogue between today’s current artists and their audience. The Wexner Prize is an annual award given to the most consistently forward-thinking creators of our time; previous winners include Spike Lee, Bill T. Jones, Gerhard Richter and John Cage. The facility itself contains four exhibition galleries, a video exhibition space called ‘The Box’, black box theater, and video postproduction studio. Ohio State’s Fine Arts Library and Cartoon Research Library are located in the building, and the Wexner presents events at other venues across the campus, including Mershon Auditorium, Weigel Auditorium, and Thurber Theater.
Wexner Center for the Arts Information
- Public Transportation: Easily accessible via COTA
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Hours: The Wexner Center is open seven days a week, but closed on several major holidays (galleries closed on Mondays and between exhibitions).
- Admission: Gallery admission is $5. Free admission for students with ID, anyone under 18, and Wexner Center members. Admission is free for all visitors on Thursdays at 4pm and on the first Sunday of each month. Movie/video screening tickets usually $7. Discounts for screenings available to students, seniors, Wexner members, and children under 12. Film screenings aimed at kids/teens are usually free. Performance event prices vary.
- Subscription/Memberships: Memberships start at $50. Member benefits include invitations to members-only parties, advance ticket sales, ticket discounts to performances and films, members-only film screenings, discounts at the Wexner Center Store and café, and exclusive events with artists.