The Winston-Salem Symphony boasts a well-rounded lineup of concert series from Classics Discovery Concerts for Kids and Plugged-In Pops to the 60-minute informal Kicked-Back Classics concerts (followed by the after-concert “Brews with Bob” meet-and-greet with orchestra members) and exclusive events such as a collaboration with Renée Fleming.
The WSS encourages young musicians to pursue their formal training through the Youth Orchestras Program and the annual Peter Perret Youth Talent search, which is open to children ages 8 through senior year of high school. Originating in 1973, the Youth Orchestras, or WSSYO, are made up of three performing ensembles of varying skill and experience levels—the Premiere Strings (beginners), the Youth Philharmonic (intermediate), and the Youth Symphony (advanced). The orchestra also brings its performances to area schools through educational outreach, which includes Fun with Fiddles, a program designed to introduce kindergarten students to string instruments.
Winston-Salem Symphony Information
- Venues: Stevens Center of the UNCSA (405 W. Fourth Street, Winston-Salem); R.J. Reynolds Memorial Auditorium (301 N. Hawthorne Road, Winston-Salem); K.R. Williams Auditorium, WSSU (401 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard at Cromartie Street, Winston-Salem); Centenary United Methodist Church (646 W. Fifth Street, Winston-Salem)
- Public Transportation: All venues are easily accessible by WSTA buses
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for all venues
- Performances/Programs: Classics—six programs, 12 performances; Kicked-Back Classics and Plugged-In Pops—four performances; Discovery Concerts for Kids and Special Concerts—three performances
- Ticket Prices: Tickets range from $14-$55, depending on the concert. Student rush tickets are $5-$6 at the door. Discovery Concerts are $9 for adults, $5 for children ages 3-12, free for kids 2 and under
- Subscriptions: Classics—individual subscriptions range from $60-$300, family subscriptions are $230; Kicked-Back Classics—individual subscriptions range from $45-$120, family subscriptions are $155; Plugged-In Pops Series—individual subscriptions range from $75-$180, family subscriptions are $280; Discovery Concerts for Kids—family subscriptions are $75. Family subscriptions consist of two adult tickets and three kids’ tickets
- Crescendo Campaign Levels: Sponsor—Up to $149; Benefactor—$150-$499; Grand Patron—$500-$999; Baton—$1,000-$2,499; Crystal Baton—$2,500-$4,999; Silver Baton—$5,000-$7,499; Golden Baton—$7,500-$9,999; Platinum Baton—$10,000-$14,999; Emerald Baton—$15,000-$19,999; Diamond Baton—$20,000 and up. Depending on the level, benefits include playbill recognition, donor receptions, dress rehearsal passes, backstage tours, complimentary personal event performances, and more.