One of the most important not-for-profit theatres in the country, the Actor’s Theatre of Louisville has contributed to the creation of some of the most significant new plays of the past thirty years. Pulitzer Prize-winning titles like Crimes of the Heart, The Gin Game, and Dinner with Friends made their world debuts on ATL’s stages, with a further 300 new scripts, developed since the theatre’s conception in 1964, now in publication and performed regularly at theatres around the globe.
Offering an expansive yearly calendar of diverse artistic events, ATL presents an 11-show season of dramas and musicals in three intimate performance spaces. Pulling from the country’s top creative talents, annual highlights include innovative stagings of classics like Raisin in the Sun and The Tempest, along with a healthy dose of world and regional premieres, and the perennial return of audience favorites like A Christmas Carol and Dracula. Other yearly highlights include the internationally recognized Humana Festival of New American Plays (affectionately known as the “Kentucky Derby of the American Theatre”) and the ten minute play and solo performance series generated by the company’s talented apprenticeship program.
The troupe’s downtown home in the landmark Old Bank of Louisville building also features a gallery of revolving exhibits by local artists, and the Intermezzo Café provides appetizing pre-theatre dining.
Actors Theatre of Louisville Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a 1-minute walk from buses 1, 6, 37, 38, 45, 49, 50, 53, 54, 61, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 74, and 77 at West Main Street/South 4th Street; and a 4-minute walk from buses 2, 4, 15, 18, 31, 43, 71, and 72 at West Market Street/South 2nd Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 15 shows, 8 special events, and 6 gallery exhibitions every year, plus the annual Humana Festival of New American Plays
- Ticket Prices: Range from $10–$56 (Seniors/Patrons with Disabilities $19; Students $16). ”20 AT $20” – Twenty $20 tickets are available the day of performance for all productions (limit four per person). ”$10 TRY US OUT TICKET” – offered to Kentucky and Indiana residents who have never bought tickets for the Actors Theatre before (limit 2 per household). Children under age four are not permitted unless the production specifically appeals to very young children. All other children attending an event, regardless of age, must have a ticket
- Group Discounts: Discounts ranging from 15–25% are available to groups of 10 or more
- Subscription/Memberships: 7- and 11-play subscriptions available for $110–$408. Choose Your Play subscriptions also available. Discount subscriptions available for students, seniors, educators, and 30-and-unders. Subscriber benefits include free and easy ticket exchanges, discount garage parking, discounts on holiday plays, discounts on tickets for friends, special offers, and 50% off additional Humana Festival tickets.