With nearly 150 performances each year, the venerable Alabama Symphony Orchestra provides its audiences with tremendous musical variety. Naturally, the symphony plays programs of classical masterpieces, but there are also the POPS! and Family Concerts series and frequent performances with Opera Birmingham and the Alabama Ballet. Special holiday shows celebrate everything from New Year’s Eve to Mother’s Day, and the ASO also offers over 15 free concerts annually. The ASO is also heavily involved in community outreach, offering a wealth of educational programs for local youth as well as the Alabama Symphony Youth Orchestra, which began in 2010 as a way for talented young musicians to hone their performance skills.
Alabama Symphony Orchestra Information
- Venues: Alys Robinson Stephens Performing Arts Center (1200 10th Avenue South); Alabama Theatre (1817 3rd Avenue North); Samford University Wright Center (800 Lakeshore Drive)
- Public Transportation: Alys Stephens (accessible by BJCTA bus 8, 14, and 48 and the Dart Green line); Alabama Theatre (accessible by all BJCTA buses and Amtrak trains at Central Station); Wright Center not easily accessible
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Admission: Single tickets $13-$70. Students can get tickets to most performances for just $7. Several free concerts are offered throughout the year
- Group Discounts: 10% discounts available for groups of 6 or more
- Subscription/Memberships: Subscription prices range widely depending upon series and seat/date choices. Subscriber benefits include 10-20% off single ticket prices, easy ticket exchanges, 15% off additional single tickets, and an ASO Restaurant discount card.