Though not explicitly a live music venue, the Arkansas Jazz Heritage Foundation plays a large hand in the perpetuation of jazz music in Arkansas. The Foundation has no street address or phone number, just an email address and a website detailing the jazz activities that it produces, as well as compiling performances and other jazz-related events offered across the state of Arkansas.
At the top of the list for the foundation is the Monday Jazz Project, a longstanding weekly performance series that takes place at local music venue The Afterthought (2721 Kavanaugh). Additionally, the Tuesday Jazz Project offers three 10-week workshops every year that serve to promote jazz education, unite students with mentors, unite the jazz community at large, and promote the continuation of Arkansas’ own jazz heritage. Also affiliated with the Foundation is a local Jazz Hall of Fame honoring Arkansas musicians who have made a mark on the jazz world.
Arkansas Jazz Heritage Foundation Information
- Venues: The Afterthought (2721 Kavanaugh Boulevard, Little Rock); Porter’s Jazz Café (315 Main Street, Little Rock); Capitol Hotel Bar and Grill (111 West Markham Street, Little Rock); Brian Sink’s Kitchen (801 Central, Hot Springs); Arsaga’s Coffee House (2418 North Gregg Avenue, Fayetteville)
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue. The Afterthought is accessible by CAT bus line 1
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 60 performances annually
- Ticket Prices: Usually around $5.