Ballet X, the Wilma Theater’s resident company, dances a contemporary take on classical ballet and is widely considered one of the most exciting companies in Philadelphia today – a group that explores movement by eliminating the restrictions of conventional ballet.
The company embraces collaborations with guest artists, which creates a captivating variety in its repertoire. Roger C. Jeffrey’s A Soliloquy among Many is an excellent example of breaking down the boundaries of traditional classical technique. Castrati takes another turn at originality, set to the music of Handel, Porpora, and van Bouwel.
The company is led by former Pennsylvania Ballet dancers Christine Cox and Matthew Neenan, who founded the company in 2005. They’ve received grants and awards from giants such as the National Endowment of the Arts and the Choo San Goh Foundation; additionally, Neenan has been named “Best Dance Talent in Philly” by Philadelphia Magazine.
Redefining their classical roots has made Ballet X a fine example of how ballet is relevant in today’s world where emotion defines shape and creativity knows no bounds. (MK)
Ballet X Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (a short walk from SEPTA buses 12, 27, 32, and C at South Broad Street/Locust Street; a 2-minute walk from the Broad Street Line and buses 9, 21, and 42 at the Walnut Locust Station; a 3-minute walk from the PATCO Line at 12-13th Street and Locust Station; and a 7-minute walk from the Market-Frankfurt Line, Trolley lines 10, 11, 13, 34, and 36, and buses 17, 31, 33, 38, 44, 48, 62, 78, 124, and 125 at the 15th Street Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: The company presents a spring, summer, and fall season at the Wilma Theater, with a total of 4-6 shows per year with multiple performances of each. They also have a spring and winter tour that travels throughout the US
- Ticket Prices: General Admission $35; Seniors $30; Students $22. Groups of 10 or more receive discounted tickets (up to 20% off)
- Subscriptions: Subscribers save 20% on general admission and can be purchased online, at the Wilma Theater box office, or by calling 215-546-7824
- Membership: Donations of any amount are greatly appreciated. Donor levels: Friend (up to $175); Composer ($175–$499); Dancer ($500–$999); Choreographer ($1,000–$2,499); Director ($2,500–$4,999); Producer ($5,000–$9,999); Angel ($10,000+).