BalletMet Columbus is one of the largest dance companies in the nation and is known for its varied and versatile repertoire. In addition to the obligatory annual Nutcracker, its season of productions generally includes a few idiosyncratic creations by contemporary ballet choreographers. These include works such as Dangerous Liaisons, a piece inspired by the scandalous 18th century French novel by the same name, and a rock and roll ballet about the seven deadly sins.
Since its professional inauguration in 1978, BalletMet has produced over 100 world premieres and has built an academy that ranks among the nation’s five largest professional dance training centers. The company has also developed an extensive series of educational programs reaching about 30,000 young people from minority groups each year.
BalletMet Columbus Information
- Other Venues: Ohio Theatre (55 East State Street) and the Capitol Theatre (77 South High Street)
- Public Transportation: Good. BalletMet Columbus (easily accessible from buses 1, 6, 9, 11, 16, 27, 29, 35, and 37 at Columbus State Community College). Ohio Theater and Capitol Theatre (a short walk from buses 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 21, and 98 at South High Street/East State Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at all venues
- Performance/Programs: 6 programs per season with multiple performances of each
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets $25–$70; Student Rush tickets $15; $5 High Five vouchers for students 13-18; dress rehearsal tickets $16–$19 available for seniors (55+)
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Subscriptions: Premiere (5-show $107–$273); Premiere Plus (6-show $127–$346); Gala Premiere (5-show plus Gala $142–$348); Gala Premiere Plus (6-show plus Gala $162–$421); Create Your Own ($66–$313). Subscriber benefits include discounts at local restaurants and organizations, discounts on Dance Academy classes, and passes to rehearsals and special subscriber events
- Membership: Stars ($150–$299); Red Boots Society ($300–$599); Performance Partners ($600–$899); Dancer’s Circle ($900–$1,199); Director’s Circle ($1,200+). Depending on level, member benefits include a private “Behind the Scenes” tour; invitations to pre-performance Chats with the Artistic Director; name listing in the season playbills; invitations to rehearsals with the ability to meet Company dancers and artistic staff; invitations to special events; invitations to attend a cocktail reception with BalletMet Company Dancers; backstage tours at the Ohio or Capitol Theatre; and more.