Founded in 1982, the Boston Chamber Music Society is committed to consistently providing the Boston community with stellar performances of chamber music. With a core group of nine member musicians on strings, woodwinds, and piano, the organization invites guest artists to join them each season in various instrument configurations, performing repertory standouts from the Classical, Romantic, and 20th century periods. Over the past few years, BMCS has exhibited a predilection for the works of Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, and Brahms.
In addition to presenting six programs plus a special holiday concert each season (performed primarily at the gorgeous Sanders Theatre at Harvard University), BCMS puts on four concerts each August as part of its Louis H. Hamel, Jr. Summer Series. The 2010 Summer Series honors the 200th anniversary of the births of Romantic composers Frederic Chopin and Robert Schumann. In addition to live concerts, the group’s artistry is also evidenced in recordings and frequent contributions to WGBH’s Classical Performance Podcast.
Boston Chamber Music Society Information
- Venues: Pickman Hall Longy School of Music, 27 Garden Street, Cambridge; Sanders Theatre at Memorial Hall, Harvard University 45 Quincy Street, Cambridge; First Church in Cambridge, 11 Garden Street, Cambridge; Kresge Auditorium at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 48 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
- Public Transportation: Very good (All venues, except for the Kresge Auditorium, are within a ten-minute walk from the subway Red Line at the
Harvard Square Station. The Kresge Auditorium is a 10-minute walk from the Red Line at the Kendall/MIT Station. All venues are near several bus lines)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good at each venue
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 15–20 per year
- Ticket Prices: For the Louis H Hamel, Jr. Summer Series general admission is $28; Concert Season tickets range from $20–$50; general admission to the Winter Festival and Forum is $25. Student, Senior, and WGBH discounts available for all concerts
- Subscriptions: You can subscribe to all 4 of the Louis H Hamel, Jr. Summer Series concerts for $95. Subscriptions to the Concert Series range from $70–$290 with student package available from $32–$58. Winter Festival and Forum subscriptions are $60
- Membership: Annual membership/donor fees range from $50–$25,000 and up. Members receive recognition in concert programs.