Charleston Ballet Theatre performs an annual array of adapted story ballets, themed gala performances, and standard 20th century classics. Their campy Rocky Horror show is a Halloween tradition and their annual Nutcracker has a unique local flavor with its 1860s Lowcountry setting. The highlight of the season, however, is their February “Masterpieces” production which features significant masterworks from world renowned choreographers. Charleston Ballet Theatre is the only company in South Carolina licensed to perform works of landmark choreographers George Balanchine and Twyla Tharp, a distinction that has garnered them a nationally prestigious Masterpieces of American Art grant.
Charleston Ballet Theatre Information
- Venues: Some performances presented at the Sottile Theatre (44 George Street) and the Gaillard Auditorium (77 Calhoun Street) and the Charleston Music Hall (37 St. John Street)
- Public Transportation: Accessible via CARTA
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performance/Programs: Schedule is generally Friday-Sunday.
- Admission: Single tickets $25-$30.
- Subscription/Memberships: Season subscriptions available. CBT has both a Mainstage and a Children’s series.