Education has always been a major focus of the activities at Clowes Memorial Hall. Located on the campus of Butler University, it serves the performing arts needs of the school and offers a broad selection of classes, workshops and performances for local students of all ages. From kindergarten through adult, students are offered hands-on opportunities to engage in all facets of the performing arts, including dance, theatre and music. To compliment this, the Clowes Presents series brings a wide variety of performances to the Hall, including many artists of regional, national and international renown.
A number of local arts organizations make their home at the Clowes, including the Indianapolis Opera, Jordan College of Fine Arts’ Music at Butler, and the Butler Ballet. The Hall is also used regularly by organizations such as Broadway in Indianapolis, the Indianapolis Children’s Choir, Music for All, and the Diversity Lecture Series. Its central location (near downtown Indianapolis and the Broad Ripple area) has made it a major focal point in the city’s cultural life for over four decades, and it is still going strong.
Clowes Memorial Hall – Butler University Information
- Public Transportation: Poor (bus number 28 is a 10-minute walk)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. Handicapped visitors are asked to reserve in advance. Seating is limited and subject to availability
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 150 events presented annually
- Ticket Prices: Vary (free–$120) depending on event and seating
- Group Discounts: Discounts are available for groups attending a number of Clowes Hall events series. Groups receive preferred seating, free parking, and more
- Other Discounts: Butler University students, faculty and staff receive discounts to a number of event series at Clowes Hall, as well as numerous other events and venues at Butler University and around Indianapolis.