The dynamic Complexions Contemporary Ballet was founded in 1994 by Dwight Rhoden and Desmond Richardson, two titans of contemporary dance bent on transcending the limits of the art.
Rhoden, called “one of the most sought out choreographers of the day” by the New York Times, takes contemporary ballet to a new level through the highly articulated bodies of his dancers. He has created over 80 pieces for Complexions, done commissions for other major dance companies such as Alvin Ailey and the Joffrey Ballet, and consulted for Cirque du Soleil.
Richardson’s ability to cross classical and contemporary lines has raised the bar for male dancers around the world. After his debut as the lead in American Ballet Theater’s Othello, the NY Times called him “one of the most majestic dancers ever to tread the Metropolitan Opera House stage.” He received a Tony nomination for his role in “Fosse,” was featured in the movie version of “Chicago,” and has worked with such luminaries as Prince, Aretha Franklin, and Madonna.
Watching a Complexions performance is a riveting experience for its display of breathtaking bodies expressing the intensity, urgency, fluidity, and grace of Rhoden’s choreography. Moon over Jupiter, set to music by Rachmaninoff, is a perfect example of the taut power that makes the company so unforgettable.
Complexions Contemporary Ballet Information
- Public Transportation: Varies by venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Performances/Programs: The company presents a season at The Joyce in NYC, as well as 30-40 performances on tour throughout the US and abroad
- Ticket Prices: Varies widely depending on event
- Membership: Junior Friend – 18 years and younger ($25); Friend ($100–$499); Supporter ($500–$999); Donor ($1000–$4,999); Partner ($5,000–$9,999); Benefactor ($10,000–$25,000); Visionary ($25,000+). Depending on level, benefits include an autographed poster from Dwight and Desmond; recognition in the New York Joyce Season program; invitations to a dress rehearsal of a new work at The Joyce Theater; a Company autographed New York Season Playbill; invitation for four to an in-studio private rehearsal with The Company during the creative process of a New Work; invitation for two to the Opening Night Performance and cocktail reception for the New York Season at The Joyce Theater; a Private dance class for you and 10 friends with Desmond Richardson & Dwight Rhoden; and more.