The Jazz Institute of Chicago presents a number of jazz events throughout the year in conjunction with major organizations all around the city, including the JazzCity free concert series, the Made In Chicago series at Millenium Park, a jazz club tour, the Chicago Jazz Festival, and their own fundraising gala, which awards significant contributors to the jazz community, including musicians, educators and students.
The Institute was started in 1969 by a group of players, club owners and writers who sought to preserve Chicago’s rich jazz history. Partnerships over the years with schools, other arts organizations and many of the city’s leading clubs have led the Institute to become a driving force in Chicago’s strong arts scene. A free email subscription to the Institute’s event calendar is available through the website.
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue
- Performances/Programs: A number of jazz events throughout the year all around the city
- Ticket Prices: Depends on show and venue
- Membership: Individual membership starts at $40; Senior membership is $30; Student membership is $20. Benefits include discounts at many of the city’s clubs, tickets to Institute events, and discounts on jazz magazine subscriptions.