Ma-Yi is an Obie Award-winning company with the primary mission of developing new plays by Asian American writers. Founded in 1989, Ma-Yi takes its name from the term used by ancient Chinese traders to refer to the group of islands known today as the Philippines. (The name was chosen in recognition of the vibrant culture that existed in Ma-Yi prior to the coming of the colonizers from the West.)
Recent productions of note have included Michael Lew’s Microcrisis, Michi Barall’s Rescue Me (A Postmodern Classic with Snacks), Lloyd Suh’s American Hwangap, and Qui Nguyen’s Soul Samurai.
Ma-Yi Theater Company Information
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue, but generally good
- Handicapped Accessibility: Depends on venue
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: Regular tickets are $40, Preview tickets are $30. Discounts are available for groups of 15 or more
- Membership/Donations: Individual Member/Donor fees begin at $25, and include program recognition. Actors Circle level donors ($1,000+) receive reserved VIP seats at mainstage productions, 2 complimentary tickets to one opening night performance and party, and special invitation to closed developmental readings and workshops.