At one time, Mark Morris was known as the enfant terrible of modern dance. Yet since founding his company in 1980, his humor and musicality have made the Mark Morris Dance Group one of the most widely appreciated dance companies worldwide.
If ever a choreographer was committed to live music, it’s Mark Morris. Noted for his gifts in translating music to movement, he has collaborated and performed with some of the most renowned orchestras, opera companies, and musicians in the world; furthermore, since 1996 live music has been a standard component of every company performance. In short, the experience of a Mark Morris Dance Group concert is a double pleasure.
In 2001, the company established the Mark Morris Dance Center in Brooklyn. The center provides rehearsal space for the dance community and offers classes in diverse styles for adults ($12 per class), as well as special programs for children (starting at $200 per semester). Since 2007, the company has also been active in helping Parkinson’s disease patients through therapeutic movement classes.
Mark Morris Dance Group Information
- Other Venues: The company also frequently appears at Lincoln Center, Zellerbach Hall, Berkeley, CA; and Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, Urbana, IL
- Public Transportation: Depends on venue. (For the Mark Morris Dance Center: 2, 3, 4, and 5 at Nevins Street; G at Fulton Street; B, Q and LIRR at Atlantic Avenue; A and C at Hoyt Street/Schermerhorn; and buses B25, B26, B38, B41, B52, B63, B65, B69, and B103)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Mark Morris Dance Group tours with about three or four different programs each year, made up from the dozen or so pieces in the current repertory. The company generally performs for about one week in each location
- Ticket Prices: Tickets generally range from $30–$90, depending on venue
- Third Party Website Discounts: Many third-party sites claim to offer discount tickets to MMDG concerts, but use the price estimate above as a guideline. Most of these third-party sites sell them for much more than what you’d pay through normal venue discounts
- Membership: For the basic fee of $50, anyone can become a Friend of MMDG. Benefits include advance notice of local MMDG performances and events and access to the members-only page on the website
- Special Young Adult Membership: The Junior Fan category for ages 17 and under is newly established and requests a donation of $10. Junior Fans receive a Junior Fan membership card and a MMDG pin set.