The New York Philharmonic Orchestra is the oldest orchestra in the U.S. and the third oldest in the world. The NY Phil offers a variety of music, from the standard classical repertoire to new commissions by living composers. This group is highly innovative and strives to make music accessible to all, offering many opportunities to learn more about its programs through lectures and special concert series. For example, Hear and Now is the Phil’s pre-concert lecture series that features performers and composers talking about contemporary music, specifically premieres of new works.
Keeping the concerts accessible to the general public, the NY Phil offers student and senior Rush tickets, along with multiple free concerts throughout NYC each year (Summer Concerts in the Parks and Memorial Day concert at St. John the Divine). The Very Young People’s Concerts Series, for children 3–5, and the Young People’s Concerts Series, for children 5–12, offer a great opportunity for young people to experience classical music.
The NY Phil website serves as a wonderful resource to online musical offerings. The website’s Kidzone has fun games and information to help children learn more about music.
New York Philharmonic Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (easily accessible by subway lines 1 at 66th Street/Lincoln Center; A, B, C, and D at 59th Street/Columbus Circle; and buses M5, M7, M10, M11, M66, and M104)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (Avery Fisher Hall is accessible to individuals with disabilities from the Josie Robertson Plaza and the North Plaza, as well as from the parking garage and the Concourse Level. Wheelchair accessible seating is also available. Please call the House Manager at 212-875-5005, on the day of the performance, to have a seat removed. Additionally, for vision-impaired guests, there are Braille and large type programs, as well as headsets available for the hearing impaired.)
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 180 concerts are given per year
- Ticket Prices: Prices vary by concert. $12.50 student Rush tickets are available up to 10 days prior to event or day of concert at Avery Fisher box office, subject to availability. Senior Rush tickets may be available the day of the performance. For senior Rush ticket availability, please call 212-875-5656
- Group Discounts: Discounts of up to 24% are available with no service charge for ticket orders. For more information, contact 212-875-5672 or e-mail the NYP at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscriptions: The New York Phil offers many subscriptions, including the Regular Subscription series (six-eight concerts), Mini Series (three-four concerts), Create your own (three or more concerts of your choosing); and Inside the Music (a series of performances that gives fascinating background information about musical masterpieces). Subscriber benefits include seat upgrades, parking discounts, and free ticket exchanges
- Activities for Children and Teens: The Young People’s Concerts series, programs for families with children ages 6–12, are offered, as well as the Very Young People’s Concerts series, intended for families with children ages 3–5. Children ages 12–17 can attend Hear and Now, Rush Hour, and Inside the Music concerts for only $12
- Activities for Young Adults: Young New Yorkers Friends membership is designed for young donors ages 21–40. This membership includes invitations to special gatherings throughout the year. Galas and special events are listed on website. More information on this program is available on the website
- Membership: At the Supporter level ($75), donors receive special discounted ticket offers through advance email notification and two complimentary open-rehearsal tickets, as well as discounts for Lincoln Center’s guided tour. Other levels include privileges such as Continental Airlines OnePass miles, free CDs, invitations to gala events, and donor recognition on website
- Other Benefits: With a donation of $1,500 or more, members receive priority ticket service, Patron Lounge access, Patron listing in Playbill, open-rehearsal tickets, and Patron Tour Gala invitations.