Founded in 1981, the Next Theatre Company has presented more than 100 productions in its 167-seat space, playing to nearly a quarter of a million theatergoers. Its audience includes Evanstonians as well as Chicago and North Shore residents. Focusing on culturally progressive work, Next has been hailed by Dan Zeff of Copley Newsas quickly becoming “the venue of the edgiest theater in the area.” Recent productions of note have included Peter Sinn Nechtrieb’s Boom, Lisa Kron’s Well, Christopher Shinn’sDying City, Heather Raffo’s 9 Parts of Desire, and the Joshua Schmidt-Jason Loewith musical version of The Adding Machine.
Next Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (Purple Line / Noyes stop)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performances Wednesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $23–$38, $19–$34 for seniors, $11.50–$19 for students with ID, $10 student Rush and industry discount tickets available
- Subscriptions: Gold Flex subscription $135 (anytime, any show, including Friday and Saturday nights); Sunday Flex subscriptions $105 (any Sunday matinée), followed by talk-backs with the artistic staff; Thursday Flex subscriptions $100 (any Thursday night show and dining partner deals); Preview Flex subscriptions $80 (any of four preview performances; Three-Play Gold subscriptions $110 (anytime, any date for three of the four plays per season); Three-Play Sunday subscriptions $85 (matinée performances for three of the four plays); Diamond Opening Nights $225 (includes post-show parties; $90 is tax-deductible). Subscriber benefits include free ticket exchange (with 24-hour notice).