Located in Loch Haven Park amidst a number of the region’s most important cultural institutions, the Orlando Museum of Art (OMA) is one of the foremost museums in Florida. Like a number of art museums across the country, it began (in 1924) as an informal collective of artists whose primary goal was to create an outlet for and dialogue around their art. In the ensuing decades it has grown rapidly, amassing a large and wide-ranging collection, with a special emphasis on American art from pre-Colonial to Contemporary.
The Museum offers 10-12 exhibitions annually at its facility in Loch Haven, as well as 13 exhibitions at various off-site locations. As a non-profit educational institution, OMA offers a wide variety of tours, classes, lectures, teacher training programs and outreach services on a regular basis. Also, in its continued commitment to local and regional artists, OMA sponsors a First Thursdays program that offers Florida artists the opportunity to display their works, with different themes explored each month.
Orlando Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Fair (a short walk from LYNX bus 125 at East Rollins Avenue/North Mills Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Tuesday–Friday 10 a.m.–4 p.m.; Saturday–Sunday Noon–4 p.m. Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: Adults $8; Seniors, College Students, Military, and Groups of 10 or more $7; Children (4–17) $5; Members and Children (3 and under) Free
- Tours: Several tour options are available. The docent-led Highlights Tour takes place every Thursday afternoon at 1:30 p.m., and is free with the price of admission. Gallery Talks are held on the first Wednesday of every month at 1:30 p.m., last approximately 30 minutes, and are also free with the price of admission. Docent-led Group Tours are available Tuesday–Friday 10 a.m.–3 p.m. and Saturday–Sunday Noon–3 p.m. Reservations are required, with a deposit, 10 business days in advance of tour. Prices for groups of 10–24 are $8 Adults; $7 Seniors. Prices for groups of 25 or more are $7 Adults; $6 Seniors. Self-Guided Group Tours are available during normal operating hours for groups of 10 or more at a price of $7 Adults, $6 Seniors. Reservations are recommended, but not required
- Membership: Student/Educator ($40); Individual ($55); Dual/Family ($80); Contributing ($125); Supporting ($250); Sustaining ($500). If you join for two years you receive a $10 discount on any membership level. Seniors (65+) receive a $10 discount on the Individual & Dual/Family levels. Member benefits are tiered with every member receiving free admission; free OMA gift admissions passes to share with family and friends, or donate to a local charity; free admission to 75+ reciprocal museums; free admission to the monthly 1st Thursdays social events; a 10% discount in the Museum Shop; up to a 30% discount on adult and youth programs; invitations to Members-only Exhibition Previews; a free subscription to the electronic Enews; and access to the OMA’s Orlando Sentinel Library.