Featuring world-class production values (the costumes, locally sewn, are fabulous and the sets are often breathtaking) and the best in local and New York talent, Pioneer has, since its inception in 1962, grown to become one of the largest and most lavish regional theatres in the United States. Presenting seven shows each season, Pioneer’s lineup is an impressive combination of Shakespeare, musical theatre, and classic literature, regularly offering such ambitious titles as Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Sunset Boulevard, Pride and Prejudice and Les Miserables. Housed on the campus of the University of Utah, performances are held at the 932 seat Simmons Memorial Theatre. In 2008, the company launched its New Plays Initiative, aimed at fostering its relationship with playwrights for new premieres and commissions.
Pioneer Theatre Company Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (easily accessible by light rail)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performance/Programs: Performance schedule is Monday through Saturday
- Ticket Prices: Single tickets are $22 – $49, post payment of a $10 set-up fee, University of Utah students can see previews for free (in addition to other perks), other college students, after paying initial $10 fee, are eligible for $10 Student Rush tickets. Half-price tickets are available for high school students on Mondays and Tuesdays. Non-subscribers can exchange tickets for a $3 fee. Discounts are available for groups of 20 or more.
- Subscriptions: 7-Play ($70-256), Pick 5 Season Tickets ($101-204), and Flex Pass ($230) are available, as well as $99 Rush Pass, which allows unlimited last minute admissions, but is subject to availability. Subscriber benefits include ticket lost ticket insurance and the ability to transfer your tickets to friends or family if you can’t use them .