Led by Artistic Director Andrew Clark—only the ensemble’s fourth in its nearly 40-year history—the Providence Singers consistently present the greater Rhode Island concert community with vibrant programming including choral classics from Bach, Handel, Orff, and Stravinsky, as well as works by late-20th century stalwarts Dave Brubeck, Philip Glass, Lou Harrison, and Steve Reich.
In addition to its wide-ranging repertoire, the organization has made significant progress in expanding its educational outreach and new music programming during the first decade of the new century. In 2003, the Junior Providence Singers was established in collaboration with the Music School of the Rhode Island Philharmonic, and has since grown into a nearly four-month choral training and performance program for area high school students. In 2006, the Singers created The Wachner Fund for New Music, which helps to initiate the premiere performances new choral commissions. In 2008, in recognition of the group’s achievements, the Arts and Business Council of Rhode Island gave the group an award for exceptional contributions to the cultural life of the statewide community.
Whether you’re seeking to immerse yourself in current choral music (and in particular, the works of contemporary choral composers), or you simply crave quality classical concerts, the Providence Singers represent a touchstone of the American choral music scene.
Providence Singers Information
- Venues: Carter Center (R.I. Philharmonic Orchestra and Music School), 667 Waterman Avenue, East Providence; VMA Arts and Cultural Center, 1 Avenue of the Arts (Brownell Street), Providence; Immaculate Conception Church, 237 Garden Hills Drive, Cranston
- Public Transportation: Varies depending on venue.
- Handicapped Accessibility: Varies depending on venue.
- Performance/Productions: Approximately 4-6 programs per season; number of performances vary
- Ticket Prices: Depending on the concert, tickets range from $22-$100. A 15% discount is available for subscribers. Call 401-751-5700 for additional information.
- Donations/Membership Levels: Membership levels are as follows: Andante cantabile, up to $99; Allegro con brio, $100-499; Maestoso, $500-999; Director’s Circle, $1,000 and above.