Sacramento Ballet is adept at balancing public appeal with a bit of artistic experimentation. While their repertory includes a standard array of full-length Romantics, 20th century classics, and contemporary works, their consistent efforts to engage local audiences have resulted in some innovatively designed extra-curricular events.
The Sacramento Ballet’s Capital Choreography Competition showcases three talented choreographers competing for cash prizes and invites audience members to vote for the winning pieces. They also host “Beer and Ballet” events, providing an unusual but pleasantly informal evening of contemporary dance works created by Sacramento Ballet dancers and beer supplied by a local brewery.
They are a regional dance company that tours primarily throughout the greater Sacramento Valley. Founded in 1954, Sacramento Ballet gained official professional status in 1986 and remains the only organization in Sacramento with a resident company of artists.
Sacramento Ballet Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (easily accessible by several buses on both J Street and L Street. A 3-minute walk from the Light Rail Blue line Cathedral Square stops)
- Handicapped Accessible: Good
- Performances/Programs: Performance schedule varies, but shows generally fall on Wednesday–Sunday
- Admission: Single tickets are $15–$68. Discount on children’s tickets sometimes available. Discounts available for groups of 10 or more. Sign up with email list to receive special offers
- Membership: Subscriptions: 4-show $85–$169.50; 3-show $45–$137.50. Subscription discounts available for children. Subscriber benefits include 20% discount on additional single tickets and lost ticket insurance.