Formed in 1910, the San Diego Symphony is committed to providing quality musical experiences for the greater San Diego community. The symphony offers many educational programs for all ages. Its Young People’s Concerts are specially designed for grades 4–8, featuring narration from the stage and addressing music and other subjects. The Junior Maestro’s Club (annual family membership fee is $75 for the first two children) offers a special invitation to Meet the Artist with Maestro Philip Mann and to attend the Symphony Side-by-Side Concert, where Symphony musicians and local students perform together. University Nights allow full-time students to purchase $10 tickets in advance for the first Saturday night Jacobs’ Masterworks concert of each month. After the concert is a special reception at Renditions Restaurant, where students can mingle with the musicians and enjoy drink specials. For those wishing to study ahead for an upcoming concert, program notes and audio clips are available online for each Masterworks concert. Also online is a multimedia archive, with videos of select performances.
San Diego Symphony Information
- Public Transportation: Very Good (easily accessible from buses 3, 30, 50, 120, 150, 810, 820, 850, 860, and 923. A 4-minute walk from the Blue and Orange Lines at the 5th Avenue station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: More than 100 performances given annually
- Ticket Prices: $20–$93, depending on seat location. Last-minute student tickets (one hour before performance) are $10 cash
- Group Discounts: Groups of 15 or more may receive discounts up to 15%; student and senior group rates are also available
- Membership: Friends of the Symphony membership begins at $100. Benefits include a Symphony schedule magnet. At significantly higher levels, such as the Symphony Stars membership ($1,100 annually), benefits include at least three members-only daytime functions (luncheons, private recitals, etc.), festive evening parties, the opportunity to host a musical event in the members’ home or place of business, plus full access to the Revelle Room and VIP Tent during Masterworks and Summer Pops intermissions.