It was Sarasota Ballet’s 2008-2009 season that suddenly captured the ballet world’s attention when, for the second year in a row, they highlighted their repertoire with 20th century neoclassic works rarely seen in America. Most notable of these were works by celebrated British choreographer Sir Frederick Ashton, leading New York Times Dance Critic Alastair Macaulay to name Sarasota Ballet “America’s foremost exponent of Ashton ballets.”
Due in large part to a directorial change in 2007, Sarasota Ballet has made a number of bold, high-profile choices in its programming, thus garnering international recognition. In 2008 it became the first ballet company in the world to include a work by Tony Award winning choreographer Matthew Bourne in its repertoire; and in 2009 it became the first American company ever to perform Dame Ninette de Valois’ 1935 work, The Rake’s Progress.
Sarasota Ballet of Florida Information
- Other Venues: Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, 777 N. Tamiami Trail; FSU Center for the Performing Arts, 5555 N. Tamiami Trail
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Yes
- Performance/Programs: About seven difference programs per year, each with about 4 performances.
- Admission: Tickets generally range in price from $20 to $75.
- Group Discounts: Sarasota Ballet offers a 20% discount for groups of 10 or more. For every 20 tickets purchases, patrons receive one complimentary ticket. Additional benefits include priority seating, access to lunchtime lectures, pre-performance refreshments, and complimentary tour bus tickets. Additional discounts may be available to groups or organizations through the Sarasota Ballet Group Sales and Outreach Coordinator. Call (941) 359-0099 ext 107.
- Subscription/Memberships: Annual membership is available through the Sarasota Ballet Association starting at $35. Members receive newsletters as well as invitations to various special events, luncheons, and performances. Additionally, members enjoy opportunities to be pro-active in working with the ballet staff, volunteers, and dancers to increase community support for Sarasota Ballet.