(July 24 – August 26, 2012) The activities of Shakespeare Santa Cruz (SSC) are centered around a summer festival, lasting from July through August each year. It has been held since 1981 on the campus of the University of California Santa Cruz. Professional actors, directors and designers are brought from around the world to interpret Shakespeare’s work with a modern perspective. SSC is a true repertory company, with a core group of actors each appearing in a number of productions throughout the festival season.
Since 1997 the company has also presented a Winter Holiday season, with original works by playwright Kate Hawley. In the off season, Shakespeare Santa Cruz offers two performance programs (the Fringe, featuring the company’s acting interns, and Shakespeare A Go, a local outreach program) to student actors interested in classical theater, including but not limited to the Shakespeare repertory.
Shakespeare Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz, CA) Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a 5-minute walk from SCMTD buses 13, 15, 19, and 19N at Heller Drive/Kerr Hall)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 6 shows per season with multiple performances of each. Performance schedule is Tuesday–Sunday
- Ticket Prices: $22–$44 for single tickets; $14 student Rush tickets available for some performances; $29 for students, seniors, UCSC staff and alumni (weekdays and Sunday evening); $12 for youth (available with full-price adult ticket purchase)
- Group Discounts: Groups of 15 or more receive discounted tickets
- Subscriptions: Season subscriptions $70–$125.