(May 25 – June 10, 2012) Devised as an American counterpart to Italy’s Spoleto Festival dei Due Mondi, the Spoleto Festival USA is an annual celebration of art at its finest. During the 17-day event, opera, ballet, modern dance, theater, classical-music, and jazz performances are held in churches,theaters, recital halls, and other venues throughout historic Charleston, South Carolina. Spoleto USA has premiered works by legends like Arthur Miller, Laurie Anderson, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, and Allen Ginsberg, while also featuring many emerging artists. Spoleto attendees in their 20s and 30s can make the festival experience extra fun by getting a SCENE membership ($75–$125), which includes invites to soirees, VIP parties, and dress rehearsals.
Spoleto Festival USA (Charleston, SC) Information
- Public Transportation: Varies based on venue
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Spoleto is a 17-day festival of opera, music, dance, and theater held late May/early June, presenting more than 120 performances
- Admission: $10–$150. Tickets may be exchanged subject to availability and fees
- Group Discounts: Discounts available for groups of 15 or more
- Educational/Community Outreach: Educational opportunities include workshops, classes, and teaching partnerships.