Symphony Silicon Valley (SSV) formed in 2002 after the dissolution of San Jose Symphony. It is distinctive in part for its policy of revolving guest conductors. Maestros who have collaborated frequently with SSV include George Cleve, Leslie B. Dunner, Paul Polivnick, and Gregory Vajda, among others.
The new orchestra offers its audience concerts that reflect well-rounded programming—from works by powerhouse composers such as Mozart, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Schubert, and Stravinsky to the Broadway in Concert series, which features musicals such as My Fair Lady and Man of La Mancha. Additional programs include matinees for students and the free music festival Target Summer Pops.
“Music Notes,” a pre-concert lecture series, is free with a concert ticket. Each lecture begins 55 minutes before each concert.
Symphony Silicon Valley Information
- Handicapped Accessibility: Excellent, all ticketed sections of the venue are wheelchair-accessible
- Performances/Programs: Seven programs, 14-21 performances per year, plus holiday concerts and performances by the Symphony Silicon Valley Chorale
- Ticket Prices: Single ticket prices range from $39-75; student and senior tickets go from $39-$69. For Carols at the California tickets, the price is $36 ($26 for patrons age 26 and under)
- SJ Arts Perk Program: Bring your ticket from a participating arts organization and receive $6 off your Symphony ticket. Similarly, your symphony ticket may be used for other arts organizations’ tickets. Bring your ticket stub from another SJ Arts Perk organization and receive $5 off your SJCO ticket. Participating organizations include Ballet San José, Broadway San José, Children’s Musical Theatre San José, City Lights Theatre Company, Opera San José, San José Chamber Orchestra, San José Museum of Art, San José Repertory Theatre, and The Tech Museum
- Subscriptions: Symphony Silicon Valley offers nine subscription series based on the day of the week and number of concerts in the series. Discounted subscription rates are available for seniors and students. Subscriber benefits include guaranteed seating for sold-out concerts, priority seating, guaranteed renewal of seating for full season subscribers, ticket exchange/replacement privileges, and more
- Donor Levels: Friend—$25-99, Supporter—$100-249, Patrons—$250-$499, Principals—$500-999, Soloists—$1,000-1,999; donor benefits include program recognition, invitation to dress rehearsal, post-concert celebration and private reception. Baton Society Membership begins at $2,000, while membership to Crystal Baton Society begins at $5,000. Chair sponsorships, as well as corporate gifts and sponsorships, are also available.