Founded in 1961 as a volunteer ensemble known as the Central Kentucky Philharmonic Orchestra, the Lexington Philharmonic offers a full array of concert series—from the more conventional “Classics Series” and “Family Series” to the “PB&J” brunch series for children and the “Kicked-Back Classics” series, in which audience members are encouraged to use social media during the performance/discussion-based events. The orchestra also presents Inside the Score, a pre-concert lecture series, daytime educational Discovery Concerts, and various in-school programs.
The Lexington Philharmonic Information
- Public Transportation: Good (a short walk from Lextran buses 1 and 3 at Rose Street/Euclid Avenue)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 20–25 performances per season
- Ticket Prices: $5–$52 depending on event and seat selection
- Subscriptions: Full Classics Series $95–$312; 4-show $95–$198; 4-show premium seats $120–$235.