The PAC at Purchase looms over the college’s tree-lined campus, fitting for a school that is chiefly known as an arts institution. Inside, the PAC is comprised of four separate performance spaces – the 1400-seat Concert Hall, the 700-seat Pepsico Theatre (the national headquarters of PepsiCo are nearby, and the beverage company has long had an on-campus presence), the 600-seat Recital Hall, and the 500-seat black box Repertory Theatre. The calendar is typically heavy on classical and jazz concerts, most of which are staged in the Concert Hall; dance and theater pieces are usually reserved for one of the smaller spaces.
Of particular note to cineastes is Talk Cinema, a monthly program hosted by former Variety film critic Harlan Jacobson, which screens pre-release foreign and independent films and offers discussion time with scholars, filmmakers and critics following the screenings. Adding to the intrigue, the titles of the films are not announced beforehand, making Talk Cinema something of a filmic potluck. (JM)
The Performing Arts Center at Purchase College Information
- Public Transportation: Good (Bee Line bus 12 has a stop at Purchase College)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Over 60 performances per year including classical music and choral, opera, concerts, dance, and theater
- Ticket Prices: $23–$93 depending on event and seat selection. Children (16 and under) receive discounted tickets
- Subscriptions: Several subscription options are available. Subscriptions by series: Great Orchestras ($135–$229); Great Performances ($135–$195); Chamber Music ($180.00); Dance ($160–$199); Dance plus A.I.M. ($189–$235); Jazz ($73.00); For Families – adult ($95–$120); For Families – child ($60–$75); and Talk Cinema ($175.00). You can also build your own subscription for $27–$79.