One of the most celebrated classical companies in the United States, Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey attracts an audience of over 100,000 patrons each year. Housed on the campus of Drew University, STNJ’s year-round season incorporates the great masterworks with modern classics from writers like Shaw, Pinter and Tennessee Williams. Performances are held at the troupe’s sumptuous home at the F. Kirby Shakespeare Theatre, and during the summer months under the stars at the nearby Greek Amphitheatre. Special annual events include the Lend Us Your Ears fall play reading series, inviting curious patrons to get an early peek at titles being considered for major production, and the popular dramatic reading, Something Wicked This Way Comes, a festive Halloween entrée into the best in bone-chilling literature. As a leader in the state’s arts education initiative, STNJ’s extensive touring and in-school enrichment programs bring a hands-on understanding of Shakespeare into the lives of Jersey’s youth.
The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey Information
- Public Transportation: Fair for Main Stage (accessible by train and a 15-minute walk); Excellent for Outdoor Stage (train stops directly at the college)
- Handicapped Accessible: Yes
- Hours: Performance schedule is Tuesday – Sunday
- Admission: Single tickets are $30 – $54.Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
- Membership/Subscriptions: 7-play, 4-play, and 3-play subscriptions available. Subscriber benefits include free ticket exchanges
- Other Benefits: 6- and 8-admission Flex Passes available