Located on the campus of the University of Utah, the Utah Museum of Fine Arts (UMFA) is Utah’s only visual arts institution that collects, exhibits, interprets, and preserves a comprehensive collection of original art objects, more than 18,000 of them, from throughout the world. UMFA is unique in its dual role as a university and a state art museum.
The roots of the UMFA date back to the early 1900s. In the beginning, the original one-room gallery was filled with paintings by local artists. Over the next five decades, the art department at the University of Utah received major art gifts and specific requests from donors to remodel the gallery into a museum. After the renovation of the gallery was finished, the facility was established as the Utah Museum of Fine Arts in 1951.
Today, UMFA’s collection covers more than 5,000 years and is housed in a 74,000 square-foot building, which opened in June 2001. In February 2005, the Utah State Legislature declared the UMFA an official state institution, confirming the importance of the Museum’s role as a center of art, culture, and education in the state of Utah. (KCE)
Utah Museum of Fine Arts (UMFA) Information
- Public Transportation: Good (bus 223 has a stop steps from the museum. Also, just a short walk from the Light Rail on South Campus Drive in front of the LDS Institute)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good. All areas of the museum are wheelchair accessible. Assistive listening devices for auditorium programs are available. For visitors who are blind or partially sighted, guided tours of the UMFA’s Touch Collection, or guides to escort visitors through the exhibitions (describing objects and reading accompanying labels and information) are available by appointment. In addition, all wall labels and exhibition information are available in large type, throughout the galleries. Visitors with assistance animals are always welcome
- Hours: Tuesday–Friday 10 a.m.–5 p.m. (open Wednesdays until 8 p.m.); Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Admission: Adults $7; Seniors, Youth (6–18), and Higher education students in Utah $5; Children under 6, Members, University of Utah students/staff/faculty, and Military Families are admitted free. Group 10 or more receive discounted tickets
- Free Days: Admission is free on the 1st Wednesday and 3rd Saturday of each month
- Tour: The free Highlights of the Collection tour is offered with no pre-registration necessary on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:30 p.m., Saturdays at 1:30 p.m., and Sundays at 1:30 p.m. and lasts about thirty minutes. Limited to twenty people. Docent-led and self-guided tours for adult groups are available during open hours, Tuesday–Sunday by appointment. Tour group size is limited to sixty people. Guided-tours usually last one hour and are directed toward the group’s experience. Group rates are $3 per person
- Audio Tour: Audio tours of the permanent collections and temporary exhibitions are available
- Membership: Student ($15); Senior/Veteran/Teacher ($30); Individual ($40); Duo ($50); Family/Grandparent ($65); Patron ($100); Grand Patron ($250); Benefactor ($500); Connoisseur’s Circle ($1,000); Sustainer’s Circle ($1,500); Collector’s Circle ($2,500). Benefits are tiered, with every member receiving unlimited free admission; free single-entry admission to ticketed exhibitions; invitations to private previews and other members-only events; a 10% discount at The Museum Store and The Museum Café; discounts on class registration and special event admission; and a complimentary subscription to the UMFA quarterly newsletter
- Other Benefits: Reciprocal membership to other museums is available at the Patron Level ($100).