The 2011-2012 season marked the grand opening of the Westmont Museum of Art, whose roots trace back to the Westmont Art Center and Reynolds Gallery, dedicated in 1985. With a new museum space and a fully catalogued collection, the Westmont Museum of Art seeks to educate students and the larger community about the power and value of the visual arts.
In 2009 Westmont received funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Sciences (IMLS) to hire a Collections Manager to inventory and update their collection records, set storage standards, and evaluate the condition the collection. As a result of two years effort in this area, Westmont now has an extensive searchable database which students, faculty and community members can use to survey their collections.
Comprising over 800 objects, the Westmont Permanent Collection is primarily the result of gifts, as well as acquisitions by the college over its 75-year history. Generous artwork and financial contributions have enabled Westmont to build an art collection that is used to educate students and the community in the visual arts. (KCE)
Westmont Ridley-Tree Museum of Art Information
- Public Transportation: Poor
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Hours: Monday–Friday 10 a.m.–4 p.m.; Saturdays 11 a.m.–5 p.m. Closed Sundays and school holidays
- Admission: Free
- Tour: Free docent-led tours are available by appointment during regular museum hours. The Museum can accommodate groups of up to 20 people; larger groups can come through in shifts
- Membership: Museum Member ($50; Westmont Alumni, Faculty or Staff $40); Art Enthusiasts’ Circle ($100); Art Collectors’ Circle ($250); Art Patrons’ Circle ($500); Founding Member ($1,000); Friends of the Westmont Ridley-Tree Museum of Art ($2,500); Director’s Circle ($10,000). Depending on level, member benefits include invitations to all museum receptions and educational events; name recognition on a Museum plaque; invitations to exclusive previews; invitations to exclusive parties with the Director of the Museum; invitations to a private lunch and educational event with the Director; and more.