While not exclusively a jazz venue, World Café Live is one of Philadelphia’s centers for live music. Every Monday night the great local pianist Orrin Evans hosts a jazz jam session, and every style of music imaginable is represented onstage throughout the month. World Café Live is the place in Philadelphia to find eclectic and energetic live music from all over the globe. The venue features two performing spaces; downstairs is dedicated to more rock- and pop-oriented acts, while the upstairs space features jazz and even a variety of non-musical activities (poetry readings to art classes and beyond). Performances downstairs often come with a minimum food and drink purchase on top of admission, and reservations are recommended (most of the acts featured are nationally if not internationally known). For $200 a year World Café Live offers a ‘VIP’ Live Access membership that includes free admittance to one concert, as well as a number of discounts on merchandise, fees and food, as well as upgraded seating.
World Café Live Information
- Public Transportation: Great (Buses 21, 40, and 42 from the Walnut St. and 30th St. stop are steps from the venue; the 30th St. Trolley Station, trolleys 11, 13, 34, 36, is a 4-minute walk; the MFL subway from the 30th St. Station is also a 4-minute walk)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 800 performances annually
- Ticket Prices: Varies widely ($5-$40) depending on performance and seating location; some seated performances include a food and beverage minimum of around $20
- Membership: The Live Access VIP Package is a $200 1-year membership. Benefits include 2 complimentary tickets to a show of your choice; choice of a World Cafe Live “Klean Kanteen” stainless steel water bottle or World Cafe Live vintage T-shirt; pay a reduced $2 ticket processing fee for all tickets; a 10% discount on World Cafe Live merchandise; special pre-sale ticket offers and complimentary tickets from time to time; a one time upgrade to mezzanine seating when purchasing 2 tickets at full price; buy one VIP ticket and get one free VIP ticket to the always sold-out 2010 February Beer Fest; 1 buy-one, get-one ticket for any World Cafe Live Wine Dinner or Beer Dinner; 1 buy-one, get-one lunch sandwich, salad, or entrée; and a personal concierge to take care of all your membership benefits.