The Alys Stephens Center (as it is more simply known) is located on the campus of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and plays an important part in the school’s arts curriculum and cultural life. It contains four separate venues, the Jemison Concert Hall (1330 seats), Sirote Theatre (350 seats, proscenium-style), Reynolds-Kirschbaum Recital Hall (170 seats), and the black box Odess Theatre.
All manner of performing arts are featured here, including theater, dance, comedy, and music of all genres. The Center serves as the home for the UAB Departments of Music and Theater, as well as the professional Alabama Symphony Orchestra. In addition to its role in the education of UAB students, the center takes an active role in arts education throughout the greater Birmingham community. Its Art Education & Outreach program, begun in 2002, has already touched over 50,000 students; programs are also available for children, young adults, adults and families.
Alys Robinson Stephens Performing Arts Center Information
- Public Transportation: Good (easily accessible by BJCTA bus 8, 14, and 48 and the Dart Green line)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Approximately 100 events annually
- Ticket Prices: Vary widely ($8-$125) depending on event and seating choice; discounts available at some events
- Discounts: Student tickets ($20 advance, $10 day of) available to all regular season performances (does not apply to special events); 30 & Under Classical Pass allows $15 admission to ‘Classically Inclined’ series to guests age 30 & under; additional discounts include group discounts and an Under 13 Children’s Discount for select concerts
- Subscriptions: Subscribers to the Alys Stephens Center enjoy benefits such as event discounts (up to 30%), seating priority, ticket exchange policy, and subscription to the Center’s newsletter, Insights
- Membership: Three types of membership are available, with increasing levels of donation: Junior Patron (for local young professionals, starting at $45), ASC Friends (beginning at $60), and the Circle Club (beginning at $500). Benefits include ticket discounts, seating priority, special member events, and more.