The Amon features an excellent Western-American art collection, with works by Frederic Remington, Charles Marion Russell, Thomas Eakins, and Grant Wood, among others. Both the original museum and the recent expansion were designed by Philip Johnson.
Amon Carter Museum (The Carter) Information
- Public Transportation: Very good (easily accessible by the #7 bus; the Trinity Railway Express service is also available)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good (also, complimentary assistive-listening devices are available for the hearing-impaired on a first-come first-served basis)
- Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday 10 a.m.–5 p.m.; Thursday 10 a.m.–8 p.m.; Sunday noon–5 p.m., closed Monday
- Admission: Free
- Tour: Free permanent-collection tours are offered Thursday–Sunday at 2 p.m. and special-exhibition tours are offered Thursday-Sunday at 3:30 p.m. Free scheduled self-guided tours are also available by appointment. Private tours can be scheduled for groups of five or more. Prices vary and reservations are required
- Membership: Individual membership is $50. Benefits include an invitation to purchase two tickets for exclusive members-only exhibition previews, exclusive access to the Members Lounge, a 15% discount in the museum store, a complimentary subscription of the museum’s award-winning magazine, Program, and recognition in the Carter’s Annual Report. Dual/ Family Membership for $100 annually includes all the benefits above, plus an invitation to purchase four tickets for exclusive members-only exhibition previews and reciprocal admission to and store discounts at more than 100 participating museums.