Citi Performing Arts Center is one of the nation’s foremost nonprofit performing arts institutions, with two major theaters:
The Wang Theatre, a 3,600-seat venue, is one of the five largest stages in the country. When it opened in 1925, it was called The Metropolitan or “The Met.” It was hailed as a magnificent movie “cathedral,” reminiscent of the splendor of a Louis XIV palace, and was considered the most important Boston landmark of the “Roaring Twenties.” In 1980, the theatre converted to a not-for-profit organization known as The Metropolitan Center and renovations to the stage and backstage attracted Broadway shows such as Sweeney Todd, with Angela Lansbury; Peter Pan with Sandy Duncan; and My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison.
The Shubert Theatre, sometimes called the Boston Theatre District’s “Little Princess”, has more than 1500 seats. It is the home for many Boston arts organizations, including the Boston Lyric Opera, and is a venue for the touring companies that present Broadway, theater, music, dance, and opera.
CITI Performing Arts Center Information
- Venues: Wang Theatre (270 Tremont Street) and Shubert Theatre (265 Tremont Street), which is steps from the Wang Theatre
- Public Transportation: Excellent (steps from bus 443 in front of the theater; a 3-minute walk from buses 11, 191, 275, 504, and 555 at Kneeland Street/Washington Street and buses 55, 192, 193, 504, and 555 at Charles Street South/Stuart Street; and a 4-minute walk from the Orange Line and buses 11, 191, SL4, and SL5 at the Tufts Medical Center Station)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good for both theaters
- Ticket Prices: Vary based on program. Policies on senior and student discounts, as well as Rush tickets, vary per production. Shows sometimes available on Goldstar.com
- Group Discounts: Group discounts are generally available (varies by show)
- Subscriptions: Membership to the Club starts at $40. Benefits include up to a 20% discount on select performances, participation in Club pre-sales, reduced fees on ticket orders, and discounts on participating restaurants and parking garages. Ticket exchanges only available for members at the Patron level or higher.