This company’s goal, since its inception in 1974, has been “to illuminate the illusions, myths, and realities of our times and use the power of theater to catalyze personal and social change.” Over the years, Illusion has commissioned or developed hundreds of original works that have been seen by more than one million people. Plays developed here have been staged at major theaters across the U.S., including the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles, the Goodman Theater in Chicago, and Manhattan Theater Club. The theater’s education arm has two components: Project TRUST¸ a national peer education program of plays and workshops in which young people and adults can explore difficult issues; and Theatre Access for Youth, a locally based program geared towards the disadvantaged.
Illusion Theater Information
- Public Transportation: Excellent (a 2-minute walk from the Hiawatha Light Rail Line at the Warehouse District/Hennepin Avenue stop; and a 3-minute walk from buses 3, 4, 6, 7, 12, 14, 16, 50, 61, and 94 at Hennepin Avenue/4th Street, and from buses 10, 11, 17, 18, and 25 at Nicollet Mall/6th Street)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: Schedule varies widely from season to season
- Ticket Prices: Performances are priced individually, but usually range from $15–$30
- Group Discounts: Groups of 10 or more receive a 10–20% discount.