Founded in 1903, the Minnesota Orchestra has demonstrated leadership in performance, recordings, and programming. An innovative ensemble, the orchestra was among the first to be recorded and heard on the radio. Friday-night performances are still broadcast live by Minnesota Public Radio and many concerts are featured on such programs as “SymphonyCast” and “Performance Today.”
An advocate for new works, the ensemble has premiered and commissioned nearly 200 compositions since its founding. It has received multiple awards for adventurous programming from ASCAP, including the Leonard Bernstein Awards for Education Programming (2005–2007) and the John S. Edwards Award for Strongest Commitment to New American Music (2008).
With a strong dedication to young people, the orchestra offers free family-focused concerts, along with Young People’s Concerts for elementary-age school groups, and WAMSO Kinder Konzerts (48 each year!), designed to help introduce pre-school children to the joys of the Minnesota Orchestra. Rush tickets are available for students ($15) and the public ($25). Young patrons are invited to join the Crescendo Project, where they receive additional discounts on tickets and subscriptions, along with invitations to private events and receptions.
Minnesota Orchestra Information
- Public Transportation: Good (the MTC website provides information regarding routes convenient to Orchestra Hall; also, the Minnesota orchestra offers a free Coffee Concert coach bus service from area shopping malls to Orchestra Hall for 11 a.m. Thursday morning Coffee Concerts)
- Handicapped Accessibility: Good
- Performances/Programs: 215 per year
- Ticket Prices: $13–$83. Students can purchase student e-tickets online in advance for $10. Public Rush tickets are priced at $25. High-school and college-student Rush tickets are $15, with a current valid student ID. University of Minnesota students, faculty, and staff are also eligible for special discounts on tickets
- Group Discounts: Groups of 10 or more save up to 20% on Minnesota Orchestra tickets. Special corporate discounts are also available
- Subscriptions: Offered in pre-arranged series by genre: Classical, Inside the Classics, Chamber, Quartet, Pop Stars!, Sunday Brunch, and Family. You can also create-your-own package by choosing three or more concerts from a broad selection. With create-your-own Family Package, families can choose from a selection of programs tailored to young listeners. Tickets are just $25 for adults and $10 for kids when you purchase a package of three or more concerts. College students may attend the three concerts of the Inside the Classics for only $30. Subscribers receive up to 50% off regular ticket prices, discounts on additional tickets, priority seating, and ticket exchanges
- Membership: Patron membership begins at $100. Benefits include an invitation for two to the annual Guarantors’ Concert, an invitation for two to the annual meeting and reception, and a complimentary subscription to Orchestra Times, the orchestra’s quarterly newsletter.